Monday, October 8, 2012

The Weekly Progress (Thanksgiving edition!)

It's Thanksgiving, so every post on this blog has been delayed by a day. I've also had a superb weekend. Lots of food makes me a very happy girl. Perhaps the biggest accomplishment of this weekend bookwise is that I read three books in three days. That made a very significant bump in my TBR list (I'm at 117 books! Woohoo!) I also made crepes!

Embedded image permalink

Anyway, let's move on to the stuff that really matters. The books. 

Books Read

IntentionsFathomless (Fairytale Retellings, #3)Wake (Watersong, #1)The Talk-Funny Girl: A NovelFroi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)

Some of this is from last week, but I read most of these this week. And holy wow, some of these were so incredibly good. Like, I could rave like a lunatic about how much I loved Froi of the Exiles. Fathomless was really good too, and The Talk-Funny Girl was powerful. I liked Intentions too. The only book I didn't like was Wake. I wrote a review for that, so keep an eye out. 

Currently Reading

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)

I'm curious to read this book. I have read several reviews where people had huge issues with this book, and I can see them, but I still think this book can be entertaining. 

Next, I'll Read 

A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)

After that, I'm going to go through all my laptops for the ebooks I'm supposed to review. I think there's 5, but I have to download them again on to my new ereader. It's a little bit stressful. 

Random Thoughts

October is probably my favourite month of the year. I love the fall colours (they're especially stunning here), I love Thanksgiving and Halloween, and it's my birthday month. It's also TV month! Though there won't be the NHL to watch (%@$# the lockout) some of my favourite TV shows come back. I'm a huge TV person: I follow Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries almost religiously. I'm also trying out Arrow, so I'm pretty excited. 

 Recap

This week there was a new Cover Wars: Flutter vs Boundless

I posted two reviews of books from this new publishing imprint, Strange Chemistry. Poltergeeks and The Assassin's Curse. I also posted my review for Falling Under

I decided early on last week that I needed to read more (guess that worked) so I wrote a discussion post asking when and where people read. 

Also, this post isn't mine but I thought it was very interesting so I'll link you to it. It's called YA Shame and Stigma and it's from Read Now Sleep Later. There's a very good discussion going on and it really makes you think. Personally, I disagree with Isaac Marion, and that's all I'll say about the subject for now. Except that maybe it's not the YA genre that needs to change, but some "adult" reader's attitudes toward YA. For example, a lot of books that could appeal to adults are in YA and they can be found and enjoyed if some adult readers didn't have the perception that YA is lesser writing just for kids. As a teen, I'm open to reading the occasional MG and adult read that appeals to me, so I see no reason for bookish snobbery on an adult's part. 

TTYL

Phew, I guess I have a lot to say. Thanks for reading this entire post! And let me know what you're reading in the comments! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...