Thursday, August 30, 2012

Review: Bloodlines

Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)




Author: Richelle Mead
Pages: 421
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Library
Challenge: Ultimate Reviewer's Challenge
Synopsis: Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning.

Buy the Book (Amazon  Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide)
>
Vampire Academy is one of my favourite series ever. They're some of the best escapes from reality and I never get tired of these books. That's why I was so sad when reading Last Sacrifice (which you could probably tell if you read my review of it). That being said, I wanted to read Bloodlines but had a long list of fears. I should not have worried.

Fear # 1) I worried I wouldn't like Sydney. I did. A lot. She was a capable, strong women and walked a very fine line. Sydney'a childhood kind of sucked and she barely had any fun. I enjoyed watching Sydney change and learn about her fears or when she felt awkward. I never thought I'd think that before since in Vampire Academy Syndey's aloof and helpful but a stickler to the rules. Seeing more of her really made me appreciate the complexity of her character.

Fear # 2) Adrian. I was so fearful of Adrian. I wanted him to be with Rose and the idea of Adrian with someone else just bugged me. This is the part that impressed me: Adrian was in pain. He was getting over Rose. Their romance meant something to him and he didn't get over her quickly. What I'm trying to say is that if he had, I would have been disappointed. This makes Adrian a more real character to me. I loved Adrian in Bloodlines, he's one of my favourite characters ever. I enjoyed reading about him and want more.

Fear # 3) What happened to all the other main characters we knew and loved? Rose, Lissa, Christian, Dimitri? Guess what, THEY'RE THERE. At least for a little while or mentioned here and there. And it's really not as weird as I thought it would be to read about Rose compared to reading as Rose. I liked it because now I feel like I know the story from more perspectives and a little bit more in depth.

Fear # 4) Boring plot. Well, I wasn't bored. Never. Bloodlines wasn't like Vampire Academy with lots of action everywhere, it was more "stuff happens" ish than that. There's less thrill but still a mystery. You still never want to stop reading. You still finish the last page hungry for more. There's still surprises, mysteries, twists and of course, trouble. It's just a different kind. There are new characters that are set up, as well as an addition to the mythology. Definitely more info on Alchemists.

My last thought was that even if I hadn't have read Vampire Academy, I still would have enjoyed Bloodlines. I did like Bloodlines a lot because of Vampire Academy though so I think the series still has a ways to go in establishing itself. I can't wait to see where the story goes. (I hope it's really long.) I'll also stop comparing the two series after this review, as they're both good in their own ways. I'm wavering between 4 and 4.5 so I'll round up. 4.5 stars!

**** & 1/2 *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...