Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Review: Invincible Summer


Invincible Summer






Author: Hannah Moskowitz
Pages: 269
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Library
Cover Thoughts: What a deceptive cover. It makes you think it's a light, fluffy beach read... but it's so much more.
Synopsis: Noah’s happier than I’ve seen him in months. So I’d be an awful brother to get in the way of that. It’s not like I have some relationship with Melinda. It was just a kiss. Am I going to ruin Noah’s happiness because of a kiss? 


 Across four sun-kissed, drama-drenched summers at his family’s beach house, Chase is falling in love, falling in lust, and trying to keep his life from falling apart. But some girls are addictive.... 


Not your typical beach read.


Buy the Book (The Book Depository/Amazon)


I'm so shocked after reading Invincible Summer. It blew my mind. Here I was for some reason expecting a light romance that was tons of fun but the book was actually very emotional. I loved that even more!

Chase is this great character who loves his summers. Everything important in his life happens in the summer. But life is starting to change and Chase is wondering how he can keep his family together. I understood Chase so well. He was a deep character. On the outside he seems to not want to grow up and on the inside... Well I'll let the readers discover that. Over the course of the summers, Chase changed and I was fascinated watching that. He's a unique character. His protectiveness for his family is sweet and I'm so glad there are characters like him who aren't clichés.

My favourite part of Invincible Summer was the interactions of Chase's large family. Each member was so different and they each got different personalities. They dealt with their problems differently but in the end they all loved each other. It was such a true portrayal of the chaos of family, especially when you have five children.

The plot surprised me a lot. There was much more depth in Invincible Summer than I expected. Some parts had me giggling and others had me tearful. There were some huge twists that I never would have guessed. I was shocked when I read of those, but it worked for the story. The conclusion was fragile but satisfying. It made me want to do a slow reread of the book again.

All in all, I loved this book. I loved the characters, the family dynamics, and the story. 4.5 stars,

**** & 1/2 *

1 comment:

  1. Great review! We have been curious about Hannah's writing for a while, and now we're thinking this one might be a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...