Monday, February 20, 2012

Book Blogger Confessions


Basically, one of my new favourite memes hosted at For What It's Worth  and Tiger's All-Consuming Media. Check it out!

This week's question is: 

Social networking with authors: Do you interact on Twitter/Facebook/etc with authors? Does it affect how you review their work or do you look at their books differently because you're on friendly terms with them?


I actually don't interact too much with authors. I visit Twitter in bursts (though I'm trying to change) but I do follow a bunch of authors. It doesn't affect how I review their work though. A review is your thoughts on a book, not the author. Just because I really like an author doesn't mean I'll really enjoy their book and vice versa. Still, if an author is really nice to me and I don't like their work, the tone of my review will be different than if I thought the author was mean. I'll still say I didn't like the characters, but instead of saying one was awfully dumb and ignorant, I'll talk about how I didn't relate with the character because we're different and I couldn't believe her naivety. It's hard to explain, and I don't ever consciously think about it.

My goal is still to try to write reviews that reflect my reading experience in the most honest way possible. It's not to sell books, or to save the world from reading a book I consider awful. It's to share my opinion of the book, not the author.


What do you guys think?

2 comments:

  1. That's a really healthy attitude about the topic. It's also interesting that you might review a book differently and not even realize it.
    I think I probably do that too. Maybe soften the blow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what I meant! I think people are influenced in a lot of ways they don't realize so you can't ever be 100% unbiased. Thanks for visiting and great meme!

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...