Thursday, December 29, 2011

Review: Starcrossed


Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1)




Author: Josephine Angelini
Pages: 487
Publisher: HarperTeen
Source: Library
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge
Synopsis: How do you defy destiny? 


 Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history. 


 As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.


Buy the Book (The Book Depository/Amazon)


Starcrossed was a fun, great read! Wow it really sped up in the end. There were so many twists and new characters that I can't wait to see what happens next.

The story is written mostly about Helen but some chapters it alternates to other characters so we can better understand what's happening. Helen was an awkward girl, always hiding because she didn't want to stand out. She was different but she didn't want anyone to notice. Different in what sense Helen doesn't discover until she tries to kill one of the new hot boys in school, Lucas Delos. She has this hatred for him that she can't understand. Way to begin a romance, eh?

Helen has never hated someone like Lucas and it's driving her insane. I have to say this was such a cool idea. Hate turning into love isn't a new idea but the way it was done was new. Helen was so shocked with her behaviour I felt awful for her. Poor girl. She thought she was going insane. Whatever the case, I really liked Helen and her friend Claire (who's way too awesome of a character).

Helen and Lucas's love is troubled and unfair. They can't be together for so many reasons that I hated the world on their behalf. I love Lucas who was a genuinely good guy from the moment Helen met him. (Yeah, I was convinced at that scene.) The romance was angst-ridden (I want her but no, I can't be with her!) for a reason. Forbidden love is just the beginning. Despite all that I still have hope for our star-crossed lovers.

Now, on to the best part of the book, the mythology. Greek in a totally new way. Have I ever said how much I love Greek mythology? There's so many family feuds and bloodshed. Josephine Angelini marvelously blended well known mythology with unique ideas to create her own story. The magical aspect appealed to me entirely. Learning about Helen's powers was fun and I was surprised and proud of Helen every moment of it.

Starcrossed was so much fun to read, I'm not even sure about how I felt of the pacing. I loved the length of the book and meeting all the new characters. Helen's life was so entertaining and this series has so major twists that I did not expect. Overall it was really well done and there's so much potential. This book is my kind of book and I can not wait for more. Soon. 4.5 stars,

**** & 1/2 *

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...