Thursday, September 22, 2011

Review: Divergent


Divergent (Divergent, #1)







Author: Veronica Roth
Pages: 489
Publisher: HarperCollins
Source: Library
Synopsis: Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.


Buy the Book (Amazon, The Book Depository)



Divergent was AWESOME!!! I'm going to attempt a review, but forgive me if it comes out as a gush.

Tris is a character I love. In many book these days I get annoyed with characters' choices because I don't understand or believe in them which makes me think badly of the character. Not in Divergent. I understood Tris's choices and respect them. She's a brave, caring, determined character. Truly divergent from the mold of YA characters often seen.

The idea of the factions worked. It was kind of like Hogwarts and their house to the extreme and I absolutely loved learning about each faction. By the end you could see that the factions were not all good or not all bad. I had the funnest time trying to figure out in which fraction I'd belong (or not). The whole world was really well done with small details that made it real. Not somewhere I'm likely to forget... Ever.

The plot was intense. Fast paced, there was also something cool happening. Divergent was NEVER a dull read. The overall story was addicting to read about and I can't wait for the sequel. The writing pulled me in and I kept reading, enchanted, till the last past.

My point? Discover what readers everywhere have already discovered: an amazing dystopian that is simply a must read. Breathtaking with huge revelations, action, and sizzling romance Divergent is the best of dystopia. I recommend it to all, 5 stars,

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...