Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Review: Clarity


Clarity (Clarity, #1)





Author: Kim Harrington
Pages: 242
Publisher: Scholastic Point
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge
Source: Library
Synopsis: When you can see things others can't, where do you look for the truth? This paranormal murder mystery will have teens reading on the edge of their seats. 


Clarity "Clare" Fern sees things. Things no one else can see. Things like stolen kisses and long-buried secrets. All she has to do is touch a certain object, and the visions come to her. It's a gift. And a curse. 


When a teenage girl is found murdered, Clare's ex-boyfriend wants her to help solve the case - but Clare is still furious at the cheating jerk. Then Clare's brother - who has supernatural gifts of his own - becomes the prime suspect, and Clare can no longer look away. Teaming up with Gabriel, the smoldering son of the new detective, Clare must venture into the depths of fear, revenge, and lust in order to track the killer. But will her sight fail her just when she needs it most?


Buy the Book (Amazon, The Book Depository)

Clarity was an impressive debut. I love a good mystery and Clarity was just that, an interesting murder mystery with some psychics thrown in. Oh, and who can forget the kickass heroine? Yeah, Clarity was pretty good.

First thing I thought of: Clare is AWESOME. She's fierce and impulsive, rebellious but loyal too. She realizes she's no angel but she's a good person. She doesn't take crap from people. I felt awful for Clare for always being called a freak and I'm interested to learn more about her school life. She's cut out for the investigator biz. I was rooting for her all along.

The other characters in the story were cool too. I love how some of them had their own side stories. It helped make them real to me and overall enhanced the story's setting and believability. Some of them stole the scene. I enjoyed reading of Clare's mom particularly because she had a very fun and teasing personality. The boys for the mini love triangle thing were hot but I wasn't sure if the triangle was needed for the overall plot. Well, that's what I thought at least. I didn't pick a team- that'll come in the future right? Assuming the triangle continues.

I'd also like to mention the mystery. I applaud Kim Harrington for keeping me on my toes. I did guess the villain and at the end I was all "I knew who it was! I should be a detective!" but the truth is that I was sure the killer was at least 3 different people. You'll have a fun time trying to guess who's behind the murder- and yes, it makes sense!

Overall I want to see more of Clare and of Kim Harrington's books. Check out Clarity; you won't regret it! 4 stars,

****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...