Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review: Where She Went


Where She Went (If I Stay, #2)






Author: Gayle Forman
Pages: 264
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Source: Library
Other Books in Series: If I Stay Amazon / The Book Depository
Challenge: The Ultimate Reviewers' Challenge Book 11
Synopsis: It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever. 


Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Julliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future - and each other. 


Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance.


Buy the Book (Amazon)
Buy the Book (The Book Depository)

Were She Went= Sob Fest. I cried so much, a few chapters in, and then about every other chapter for the most part. I will admit that I'm not one of those people who never cry. Some stories just hit me hard and this was one of them.

I'm glad I read this book. It's not just for entertainment. It's written in a way to make the reader understand what Adam is going through. He's been through a lot and he feels alone. He has pushed everyone away and is on the verge of a breakdown. Then he sees Mia again for one night that will change his life.

In If I Stay, Mia was in a hard place but at the end she made a choice and broke through. In Where She Went, Adam has the same possibility of making that choice. Watching Adam go through all his emotions was powerful. At some parts I hated Mia for what she did, but I couldn't hate her for living her life. There was so much raw emotion pouring out through Adam, the prose, the lyrics to the songs (which I loved, btw) that I was overwhelmed.

I love Adam even more than Mia. There is so much to him and I loved his perspective. He's no saint but he is a genuinely good person. A man. His love for Mia is consuming. The kind of love that can last forever if pruned, the kind of love that can save or take a life.

There were several revelations Adam had but the one I loved the most was the idea of closure. I'm bad at goodbyes. They can be painful for me when I don't think about them, and I always end up upset on the last few days of vacation or when a good thing is happening because I'm scared of letting go. The way the idea of closure was presented here really resonated with me in a beneficial way. I thought closure was being over that pain, that sadness but what it really is is excepting the pain and eventually letting it go.

I'm not going to go more in depth than that. Where She Went made me feel strongly, which is exactly why I love it. In most books you see other people, experience others' lives. Where She Went was a personal read, and exactly what I needed. 5 stars,

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...