Saturday, August 27, 2011

Review: The Summer I Turned Pretty

The Summer I Turned Pretty (Summer, #1)






Author: Jenny Han
Pages: 276
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Source: Library
Challenge: Ultimate Reviewers' Challenge book 10
Synopsis: Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

Buy the Book (Amazon)
Buy the Book (The Book Depository)

I finally read The Summer I Turned Pretty and I really liked it. It was a fun, nice read and definitely felt like summer. I was deeply immersed in the world and I love the characters.

Belly is awesome. She's not vain, she doesn't spend hours on her looks but she does whatever she wants and feels comfortable with it. She knows what she wants and tries to get it. Everything she felt made sense, and I can see why she acted the way she did. I love that she actually gets upset and acknowledges acting immaturely. She has flaws and I love her for them.

I love the characters in this book, especially Susannah. Eccentric, indulgent, what's not to love? Conrad and Jeremiah are both swoon worthy guys. I seriously love both of them, and usually I prefer one brother or one guy in a story but I think I may love them both. All I know is that Belly's relationship with them is real and funny, and serious.

Belly encountered many firsts (and seconds). She's about my age (tiny bit older) and I loved that she felt like a friend. I loved her reactions to events like dates, parties and kisses. At first glance this book may seem like a light, summer read but there's more to it then that. It deals with hard issues teens face in a real way.

One last comment: I cried. I think the last book to have done that to me was If I Stay or Darkest Mercy. I love how emotionally involved this book made me be. I'm totally rooting for the characters.

Sarah Dessen said it best in her blurb, this book has everything you want in a summer. It makes me extra excited for summer. I can't wait to read the sequel. 4 stars,

****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...