Friday, May 20, 2011

Review: If I Stay

If I Stay
Author: Gayle Forman
Pages: 272
Publisher: Speak
Source: Library
Synopsis (from Goodreads): In a single moment, everything changes. Seventeen-year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall riding along the snow-wet Oregon road with her family. Then, in a blink, she finds herself watching as her own damaged body is taken from the wreck...

A sophisticated, layered, and heartachingly beautiful story about the power of family and friends, the choices we all make—and the ultimate choice Mia commands.

If I Stay is now number one on my list of books that everyone needs to read.

The story was painful to read. I felt like I was Mia, losing my family— her family was impossible. I felt her uncertainty, her grief. I myself miss her parents and her brother. I feel like I've lost something, but I've also found something special in this remarkable book. I felt Mia's hope and I've finally realized what an emotional roller coaster means. I'm so glad I read this book and I truly feel like I've undergone a journey with Mia. If I Stay does that to you.

Mia's life is real. I can imagine her easily. Her parents were amazing and she loved them so much but they weren't perfect. They had so many great memories with Mia. Mia's love for her brother Teddy makes me think of my own sister. Mia's best friend Kim with all her faults and merits could easily be a girl in my class. Adam could also easily be a boy at my school. And the scariest thing is that the accident that overturned Mia's life could easily happen. If I Stay was real.

When I read books I have a hard time keeping myself interested sometimes. I force myself to slow down and read every single word, but I didn't need to do that with this story. Each word had an amazing purpose to describe what was happening and it also had the power to make you feel what was happening. Often I read books for fun, and that's acceptable but words aren't just about fun. They have power and should be used carefully. I realized this while reading If I Stay.

The story of If I Stay is unforgettable. I'll be thinking of Mia many, many times throughout my life. While reading I had no idea where the story would go. I had no idea what Mia's choice would be or what would happen next. I was guessing till the last page and even now I can't get the story out of my head. The ending was satisfying and I can not wait to read Where She Went.

Overall, If I Stay is a powerful story of love, family and choices. It'll take you to places inside yourself that you've never been to before and it will startle you. It's an important story and a book that needs to be read. 5 stars,

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...