Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Review: Darkness Becomes Her

Darkness Becomes Her
Author: Kelly Keaton
Pages: 288
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Library
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge (book #2)
Synopsis (from Amazon): Ari can’t help feeling lost and alone. With teal eyes and freakish silver hair that can’t be changed or destroyed, Ari has always stood out. And after growing up in foster care, she longs for some understanding of where she came from and who she is.


Her search for answers uncovers just one message from her long dead mother: Run. Ari can sense that someone, or something, is getting closer than they should. But it’s impossible to protect herself when she doesn’t know what she’s running from or why she is being pursued.


She knows only one thing: she must return to her birthplace of New 2, the lush rebuilt city of New Orleans. Upon arriving, she discovers that New 2 is very...different. Here, Ari is seemingly normal. But every creature she encounters, no matter how deadly or horrifying, is afraid of her.
Ari won’t stop until she knows why. But some truths are too haunting, too terrifying, to ever be revealed.

Darkness Becomes Her started with action and ended with even more action. I really really liked this book and I can't wait for the next book in the series.

The story is about Ari who will definitely make my list of favourite heroines. Ari is strong, badass, but she's also vulnerable. She's gone through a lot in foster care with the loss of her mother and all that has made her stronger. She's not the kind of girl who mopes all the time, but she's not cold either. I love her as a character!

The plot of the story is very interesting, a whole new twist to the supernatural. There are strong, lovable characters and you can tell how much Kelly Keaton loves the city of New Orleans. To be honest, I guessed some stuff early on in the story but that's only because I read something and felt this weird need to do research. The story is super fast paced so it's very enjoyable to read.

The one thing that I'm iffy about is how fast the story takes place. Probably what, four days? Ari's attachments and relationships develop awfully fast so I hope in future books it takes a bit more time. While I did enjoy Ari and Sebastian, they're a bit serious for people who've just only met so I'm excited to see where their relationship goes.

Overall, this is a fun, addictive story and I can't wait to read what happens next. I have a feeling that this series might make it into my favourites list. Darkness Becomes Her is perfect for any lover of the supernatural and kick-but girls. 4.5 stars,

****& 1/2 *

5 comments:

  1. I've seen some really great reviews of this recently; alot of people say it's very dark. I think the fact their relationship develops over just 4 days might put me off though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't get into it my first read through, but I really need to try again. Thanks for review.
    Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really good book; I love strong heroines, and Ari is a kickbutt type of girl!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...