Saturday, February 5, 2011

Review: Last Sacrifice

Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, Book 6)
Author: Richelle Mead
Pages: 594 (Hardcover)
Source: Library
Synopsis:  She broke the law when she ran away from St. Vladimir’s Academy with her best friend and last surviving Dragomir Princess, Lissa. She broke the law when she fell in love with her gorgeous, off-limits instructor, Dimitri. And she dared to defy Queen Tatiana, leader of the Moroi world, risking her life and reputation to protect generations of dhampir guardian to come.

Now the law has finally caught up with Rose- for a crime she didn’t even commit. She’s in prison for the highest offense imaginable: the assassination of a monarch. She’ll need help from both Dimitri and Adrian to find the one living person who can stall her execution and force the Moroi elite to acknowledge a shocking new candidate for the royal throne: Vasilisa Dragomir.

But the clock on Rose’s life is running out. Rose knows in her heart the world of the dead wants her back… and this time she is truly out of second chances. The big question is, when your life is about saving others, who will save you?

My review:

I need to say first of all that I love this series. Major huge fan girl  here. I'm not sure how objective I am or how helpful this review might be...

WARNING: SPOILERS FOR PREVIOUS BOOKS IN THE SERIES

Last Sacrifice begins like the other books in the series: with a bit of calm (or as much calm as there is in that world) while Rose sums what's happened and how she's in the latest mess. After that it's all action.

Rose has really grown as a character. In every book she's matured more and more. She's learnt what love is as the series continues, even more in Last Sacrifice. Yes, Rose does make a choice between Adrian and Dimitri. And I think she makes the right choice for her. Rose's relationship with Lissa also grows. They truly would do anything, even die for each other and all through the series their friendship and bond is there, growing stronger. Last Sacrifice shows both Rose and Lissa's strengths of character, but also their vulnerabilities.

The plot is truly phenomenal. Everything ties up from the past books, and it's obvious that the conclusion that happens is the one meant to be. It makes sense. Previous characters all take part in it. Little bits from the previous books' stories are all there. Was the ending satisfying? Yes, definitely for me. The important issues are solved with many plot twists: though I did suspect a couple of them, some of them were shocking. I'm still absorbing everything.


Was this a good conclusion to the series? Yes and no. It's definitely the perfect plac to end Rose's story, and the ideal place to begin other stories. Many plot lines haven't been concluded and I'm excited to see them in Bloodlines, the spinoff. To be honest, this doesn't feel like the end. With the spinoff, the world will continue and I'm sure we'll see (or at least hear) more of Rose and Lissa.

All in all, this Last Sacrifice is bittersweet. It's am ending in some ways, but a beginning in others. It's the perfect conclusion and leaves me satisfied, if not a tiny bit sad. It's like finishing the Harry Potter or Hunger Games series, you feel like you've lost something, but it's better since there's a spinoff. Due to the action, the intricate plot, the suspense, mystery, romance, and the fabulous characters, Last Sacrifice gets 5 stars,

*****

Bloodlines
I have to say, after reading Last Sacrifice, I'm even more excited to read Bloodlines. I now understand why some characters are chosen to have point of views, and I already miss the VA world. I have a feeling that this will be another fabulous, well-written series by Richelle Mead.

-P.E.

3 comments:

  1. Agrees with your review. Nicely done I can't wait for Bloodlines to come out August is to far away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your review on this last book. I am a huge fan of VA and I like you love almost everything about this series. I was definitely stunned at the end of the book. I didn't know how I felt and I believe it was because I knew it was the end of Rose's story. I'm glad you brought up that feeling like you lost something. Cause that's how I really felt. I couldn't believe that it was over. It was a definite satisfying ending. One thing that I love about this series is Rose & Lissa's growth. They are amazing characters that I really loved. Thanks for the review absolutely loved it! New follower.

    here's my review on LS in case you were interested in my review
    http://paranormallyromanced.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-last-sacrifice-richelle-mead.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you like my review and thanks for following! I also loved reading about Lissa and Rose's growth. They're both real characters that will stay with me for a long time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...