Saturday, February 19, 2011

Review: Hunger

Hunger: A Gone Novel

Author: Michael Grant
Pages: 608
Source: Library
Series: Gone by Michael Grant, book 2
Synopsis (from Amazon): It's been three months since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

Food ran out weeks ago and starvation is imminent. Meanwhile, the normal teens have grown resentful of the kids with powers. And when an unthinkable tragedy occurs, chaos descends upon the town. There is no longer right and wrong. Each kid is out for himself and even the good ones turn murderous.

But a larger problem looms. The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ. Calling to them, guiding them, manipulating them.

The Darkness has awakened. And it is hungry.

**Beware, I'm a huge fan of this series!**

When I finish reading a book, I ask myself whether I feel like reviewing it. Whether I have a lot to say about it. I don't review books I only like, or the opposite, just a moderate amount of books that I have a solid opinion on. Some books make me need to review them. Hunger is one of these books.

First, oh my gosh I LOVE these books! Sorry, had to get that out of my system. This is such a fabulous, original, interesting story world. Kids trapped in a dome with no adults and superpowers? That alone would makes me like this book. Tie that with the amazing and intricate plot, variety of amazing characters and the easy to read writing and you've got a winner.

Hunger is the second book of the Gone series, and I swear you can feel the desperation of the kids while reading this. Its creepy how this book affected my mood so much while I read it in a single sitting. In Hunger, things are even worse. Sam is trying to be a good leader but the pressure is overwhelming, the society isn't working and the Darkness is on the prowl. Every possible thing is against them and you're left wondering how can our heroes triumph?

One of my favorite things about this series is how real the characters are. Every one of them has faults, but they're all redeemed in at least a small way. The multiple point of views gives room for everyone's story to weave together in the plot. For example, the kids face many challenges in Hunger, mostly relating food and organization. These kids react exactly as I would imagine many people would react: they're scared, they feel like they can't do anything, and they're on the verge of giving up. These emotions lead to chaos and while some kids follow the crowd, there are some kids who step and are leaders. But no, these kids do not save the day, They have their own problems too, so basically everyone has to save themselves. These concept really makes me wonder what I'd do if I lived in the FAYZ.

This book has lots of suspense and action. These poor kids never get a break. There are new heroes and new "villains" and there are either two ways things work: you create a problem, or you solve a problem. Most people create problems and it's written in a way that shows that problems are a way of life. They're always there, people need to learn how to deal with them.

I can't really say much else without spoiling, so I'm just saying that I'm super excited for the next book, Lies, which I'm planning on getting as soon as I can. I don't know what genre of book this may be (dystopian perhaps?) but if you like books about survival, the Gone series is perfect for you. There's a lot to like, though it's a scary read.

I loved Hunger so much that I'm giving it my highest rating, 5 out of 5 stars. I recommend checking this book and series out!

*****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...