Friday, January 21, 2011

Review: How to Ditch Your Fairy and Affiliate Info

How to Ditch Your Fairy

Author: Justine Larbalestier
Pages: 336
Source: Library
Synopsis: Everyone in New Avalon has a fairy. Though invisible, a personal fairy is vital to success. It might determine whether you pass a math class or find the perfect outfit. But all fourteen-year-old Charlie can do is find parking spaces—and she doesn’t even drive. At first, teaming up with Fiorenza (who has an all-the-boys-like-you fairy) seems like a great idea. But when Charlie unexpectedly gets her heart’s desire, she’ll have to resort to extraordinary measures to ditch her fairy.

I originally picked this up because I read some of Justine's short stories and really enjoyed them. Plus the title and cover made me giggle.

The story is about Charlie, an average girl who always gets in trouble. Charlie hates her fairy, a parking fairy (which after reading the novel, I still don't think it's that bad). She wishes she had a better fairy. Actually, she'd do anything to change fairies and that's basically what the plot centers around.

I personally didn't like Charlie much. She thought she was different, but she wasn't. I even thought she was a bit self-righteous at times. I also don't understand her motivations and she judges Fiorenze so easily. Fio was my favourite character. I'd much rather have read about her. In the end, I think that she is the one who really learns her lesson.

The world was pretty interesting. I wouldn't be against more books in the series. The fact that the Ours are so revered and that the New Avalonians don't know almost anything about the outside world interests me. Something seems wrong there and I'm determined to know what.

There's really not much I can say about this book: decent characters, good-paced plot, etc. The reason the book falls flat for me is the ending. I don't like Charlie's last action. It makes me think of the whole book in a different way. I don't like the message it gives me. Of course, that might just be me who wasn't satisfied.

Overall, this was a decent book so it'll get a decent rating, three stars.

***

(Haha, I think I overused the word decent in my review!)

Other stuff:
I'm trying another of Justine's books right now, Liar. The reason I've posted two review is because I actually have a bit of down time now before the hell that is exam week. I'll try to post next week if I can, but if not, check out my twitter. I'll tweet a bit there,

Also, if anyone wants to be an affiliate please let me know. I don't have a button yet (though I'll be making one soon) so if anyone wants me to post their blog, please just follow and leave a comment with your button. And be ready for me to let you know when my button's ready.

xoxo,

-P.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...