Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review: Bleeding Violet

Bleeding Violet


Author: Dia Reeves 
Pages: 480
Source: Library
Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Hanna Järvinen is an unusual girl with a head full of hallucinations, a medicine cabinet full of pills, and a closet full of frilly, violet dresses. Everything a girl needs–except love.  But that’s what mothers are for, and Hanna is sure she can reconcile with hers, even though she was abandoned as a baby.
Unfortunately, her mother lives in Portero, an odd East Texas town with doors that lead out of the world, flesh-eating creatures, and parasitical spirits–not an ideal environment for winning a mother’s love.
Hanna, however, refuses to let a few monsters interfere with her plans. If she has to flirt a little, lie a little, kill a little, or even bleed a little, she’ll do it. Hanna can live with monsters and mayhem, but she would rather die than live without love.
I got this book because of the cover, originally. It was so pretty, and exactly the genre I read. The synopsis and title were intriguing too. After having read it, I don't know why I wasn't very excited to read it. Hanna is probably the weirdest girl I've ever read about, and I  loved it. She's so unique and original, and relatable too. All Hanna ever wants is her mother to love her, and once she sees that within reach, she's not going to let anything stop her from getting it. 
This isn't a typical YA novel. Yes, there is a romantic interest, but he's hardly what the whole story is about. This novel made me shiver a lot. It was a fun mystery with blood, romance and slightly disturbing things.


The Mortmaine was an interesting aspect to the story. First of all, I love the name- "mort" which is French for death. They were an interesting twist to the regular hunting monsters idea. The monsters themselves were scary too. When Hanna when to the park... I'm not going to spoil but that was insanely awesome. And as always, disturbing. 


I think that overall, this was a brilliant book that I'm so glad I read. I don't think it's the book for everyone, but it's easy to read and to enjoy. 


4 Stars


****

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...