Monday, December 27, 2010

Review: My Worst Best Friend


Author: Dyan Sheldon
Pages: 298
Synopsis:
Gracie and Savannah are best friends —and utterly unalike. Savannah is beautiful, outrageous, and irresistible to the opposite sex. Gracie is shy, smart, and would rather be studying lizards than meeting boys. Still, they’ve made a surprisingly great team, and (until now) it seemed as if nothing could come between them. But lately, Savannah’s talent for lying and manipulating is becoming harder to ignore. She’s fallen head over heels for an elusive college boy, and Gracie can’t help wondering: is her friend as confident as she seems? When Savannah gets between Gracie and her crush, the line separating best friend from worst friend is crossed.

This book originally attracted me because of its title and cover (I'm guilty of this frequently) and was different than I thought it originally would be. First, Gracie was a normal, smart girl that was a bit relatable except for her relationship with Savanna. Savanna was terrible to Gracie, and somehow Gracie was loyal to her for such a long time. That doesn't make sense to me. Gracie seems like the type of girl who would know better so it bothered me when she always fell for Savanna's stories.

Savanna herself annoyed me. I hated that girl. The author did a good job because I really didn't like Savanna and could see how she was using Gracie, but after a while it was too much. Gracie doesn't seem as strong of a character after Savanna walks all over her like that... But I may just feel that way since I would have acted differently. Cooper was an interesting part to the story. Really sweet and I thought good for Gracie. To be honest though, this story didn't hook me in. After a while, I just got tired of Savanna's endless whining.

The moral of the story was evident, but I thought the book felt too long. The other thing was that I didn't feel like the story was amazingly original. All stories are similar to a degree, but then they have little bits that make them unique and special, but My Worst Best Friend didn't have enough of them. The ending for one was predictable. I was just left wondering when we'd get there. It wasn't a bad book. At parts, I enjoyed this. If I could go back into time, I would still have chosen to read it, but this wouldn't be a book I would prioritize buying.

All in all,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...